[Self-interest] Self implementations

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri May 20 00:39:51 UTC 2022

Russell,

> There is a place on GitHub for a Self wiki:
>
> https://github.com/russellallen/self/wiki
>
> People can add implementations there.

Great idea! Seeing the list of projects reminded me that my own projects
only ran on older versions of Self. It would be nice to update them to
fix this.

> Wasn't there another Self in Java at one point?
> dSelf or something like that?

Indeed, and searching for that found it mentioned on one of my own pages
:-)

http://merlintec.com/swiki/Self/2.html

dSelf is described in the paper "dSelf - A Distributed SELF" by Robert
Tolksdorf and Kai Knubben from 2001:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2483815_dSelf_-_A_Distributed_SELF

A quick search didn't turn up anything about OpenSelf. The mailing list
archives might have something about that.

Marvin, announced in 2005, was supposed to be a Self implemented in
Squeak by Pavel Krivanek, but I can't find anything about it beyond its
SqueakMap page:

http://map.squeak.org/package/378a5744-80f7-4e9c-a0b8-ef5f4720571a

> One interesting thing about both zigself and PySelf (for want of a name
> :) is that they both seek to define a small subset of the Self
> distribution as a core - booleans, collections, strings, etc.

Early versions of Self were basically just the core stuff. Unfortunately
the earliest copy I have on my machine is Self 3.0 which already had 185
.sm files (Self module, I suppose?). I do have Self 1.1 but in a tape
that I can't read.