[Self-interest] Self implementations (was: Self implementation in Python)

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Thu May 19 22:25:58 UTC 2022

There is a place on GitHub for a Self wiki:

https://github.com/russellallen/self/wiki

People can add implementations there.

Wasn't there another Self in Java at one point? dSelf or something like that?

One interesting thing about both zigself and PySelf (for want of a name
:) is that they both seek to define a small subset of the Self
distribution as a core - booleans, collections, strings, etc.

On May 19 2022, at 7:43 pm, Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:

> Stephen De Gabrielle asked on Wed, 18 May 2022 08:41:55 +0100
>
>> @Self-interest list: Is there a list of Self implementations?
>
> It would be nice to compile such a list and make it available somewhere
> on the main language site.
>
> In the last few decades new languages have tended to have a single
> implementation. Having an open source version that you can download over
> the Internet and which runs on your computer (PC clone) and operating
> system (Linux, Windows or MacOS) eliminates most reasons for creating an
> alternative implementation. Only if you need it to be faster (like PyPy
> or LuaJit) or smaller to run on embedded devices does the effort make
> any sense.
>
> Earlier languages had many implementations. Smalltalk-80, for example,
> took a long time to become officially available and even then only on
> high end workstations. So people had to create their own: Smalltalk/V
> (PCs), Little Smalltalk (text-only Unix machines and many
> microcomputers), SmalltalkAgents (Macintosh), Smalltalk/X (Unix X11),
> Dolphin, Smalltalk MT, Object Studio, VisualAge and probably many others
> I have forgotten.
>
> Other people just mixed Smalltalk features with other languages:
> Objective-C, ObjectPascal/Delphi, Clascal/ObjectPascal, Java, Ruby and
> so on.
>
> In the same way, I would include in a list of Self implementations
> languages that borrowed a lot from its features but which are not
> actually compatible.
>
> Beyond the official implementation from Stanford and Sun and the ones
> already listed in this thread I can remember:
>
> JSelf by Diego Gómez Deck

https://web.archive.org/web/20080515215555/http://www.consultar.com/JSelf/
(the page is currently missing)