[self-interest] VNC client in Self

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Fri Apr 18 01:00:10 UTC 2014

Thanks for the thoughts Russell. I'll see how far I get with no
primitive modifications and once it's working I'll look at what I can
add to speed things up.

I wanted to do something 'in' Self rather than 'on' Self as it''s been
awhile since I actually wrote anything reasonable sized in the
environment. VNC is good for me since it will allow me to stay inside
the Self world while running xterm and Firefox. It's also part of an
exploration to see what's involved in using something else for the
remote display functionality. If we rip out X then we lose that which
I think is a nice feature.

I would like to see libSDL bindings too. That would give hardware
acceleration and easier platform support on Android and Windows. With
an alternative to the X11 stuff for the desktop sharing we'd be on the
way to making Self look more modern.