[self-interest] VNC client in Self

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Fri Apr 18 02:26:54 UTC 2014

> On 18 Apr 2014, at 11:00 am, Chris Double <chris.double at double.co.nz> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the thoughts Russell. I'll see how far I get with no
> primitive modifications and once it's working I'll look at what I can
> add to speed things up.

Makes sense
> I wanted to do something 'in' Self rather than 'on' Self as it''s been
> awhile since I actually wrote anything reasonable sized in the
> environment. VNC is good for me since it will allow me to stay inside
> the Self world while running xterm and Firefox.

Another useful thing might be to start experimenting in keeping something out of the main Self tree ie put this code on GitHub but not in a self fork. This might tell us what needs to be changed in the transporter to properly support a multiple source environment
> It's also part of an
> exploration to see what's involved in using something else for the
> remote display functionality. If we rip out X then we lose that which
> I think is a nice feature.

It's a great feature but the reliance on x makes it a bit hard to use at the moment. You will need a self vnc server though not client ;)

Russell