[self-interest] goals (was: dynamic deoptimization)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Dec 13 05:23:22 UTC 2011

Casey Ransberger wrote:

> Top post: nested interpreters makes me think about OMeta. Just a thought.

OMeta is used in cascaded compilers for the Steps project at VPRI. This
is indeed related to nested interpreters in many ways. One difference is
that the cascaded compilers must be explicitly invoked while the system
decides when to generate code from the interpreters. That makes the
first system far easier to build, but the second easier to use. A bit
like the difference between malloc()/free() and a garbage collector.

The cascaded compilers approach doesn't help with meta-objects, but
given the goal to avoid reflection in VPRI's projects this isn't a
problem for them.

Note that I didn't want to get too off topic for this list, so was just
mentioning some stuff and not explaining them. The ideas are easy to
understand, but it requires a few pages and not just one paragraph as in
my previous email.