[self-interest] Model View Controller and the Observer pattern

Albertina Lourenci lourenci at lsi.usp.br
Mon Aug 27 14:58:01 UTC 2001

Thomas Kuehne wrote:
Dear Thomas:

>  Please note that the original creators of MVC are now using Morphic
> > exclusively.
>
> AFAIK, the original creator of MVC was Trygve Reenskaug and not the group involving Dan Ingalls and Alan Kay you are referring to.
>
> Also, said Squeak group still maintains both MVC and Morphic.

This sounds intriguing. Is Squeak a dialect from Smalltalk? They offered a tutorial about Squeak in the last ECOOP'01.
I was busy with the Workshop on OOAE and their tutorial was not at all intelligible. It looks like the Self manual
where no explanation about collections was given. I had to figure out by myself that all the methods there were
similar to those from Smalltalk .Then I picked up the Smalltalk books and studied. You may agree this is at least
not friendly. And artists only feel attracted towards friendly things.
Could you please tell me where I can read more about this (MVC + Morphic)?

> Moreover, even if they exclusively went the Morphic direction that would just tells you that for their particular purposes the direct manipulation and stepping paradigm does the job.
> It does not, however, imply that Morphic is the better choice in all circumstances.

Indeed the Morphic arrangement based on rowMorphs and columnMorphs is very rigid!
However the underlying philosophy is nice!

> In fact, the current Squeak way of supporting Morphic is badly in need of a polish, AFAIC(What's this?)
> It is way to slow for anything but the most minute toy examples.
>
> Peace and Luck,
> This is all I need to be creative!

The same for you, too!
Albertina