[self-interest] Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and..

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Wed Aug 5 21:13:49 UTC 2009

I agree with the distinction being raised.

No matter the language there are basic things that must be learned to
build a working program.  It does not matter whether the thing learned
is built-in or from a library.  Collections, control structures,
variables, computation, etc.  A simple language that must be extended
to implement all these basics is no easier to learn than one that has
them all baked in.  And unless well documented from a learner's point
of view, it could be much harder.

The value in a system like Self, and Smalltalk, and Ruby, is the value
to the expert user.  To a programer that has mastered the language,
the flexibility, ability to extend the language, and to implement new
abstractions, are what make a language system stand out.  With image
based programming there is also the ease of access to the objects and
internals that far exceeds most memory based programming
environments.  But, again mostly those benefit the experienced user.

Michael