[self-interest] simplicity

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Wed Jun 30 15:17:11 UTC 2004

The counter point is "don't design it that way".  There is nothing in
the language that requires you to wait for garbage collection to
release resources.  In particular if the registry requires you to close
the accessor before doing something else, by all means close it
explicitly.  The use of blocks can make the open and/or close
operations implicit in a custom control structure, or you can do it
explicitly.  The use of finalizers to release resources is a bad design
practice in general.

Michael