[self-interest] Self versus classes

Albertina Lourenci lourenci at lsi.usp.br
Fri Mar 16 15:47:34 UTC 2001

Tripp Lilley wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

I have not received this message Jecel sent to the list to
respond to my concerns. Will you please someone e-mail
it to me?

Moreover I would like to know the elements of an open
computational system.
For example in architectural design, the main elements
are  activities, structural systems, ecohydraulic systems
building systems, environmental comfort (thermal, lighting
and acoustics),  beauty, and so on...

I suspect elements such as distributed systems, interoperability,
concurrent and parallel systems correspond to the above elements
in architectural design....But I want to see all of them listed...

Moreover I am not sure but I think the concept of architectonic object
that grows to the concept of neighborhood, then to borough then to
cities then to bioregions, continents finally Mother Earth
correspond to the concept of object, then classes, then metaclasses
meta-metaclasses and so on ...
Have you grasped my ideas?

Best wishes
Albertina
PS. PLease e-mail to me until the bug with e-mail is not solved.

> > Not many people have ever seen a running Self system. I don't think
> > that those who have had problems understanding it or tried to program
> > in Self and failed. If that is the case for anyone on this list, please
> > speak up so we can find out what is wrong.
> >
> > I have seen many people who have read a few of the papers and didn't
> > get what it is all about, but that is an entirely different matter.
>
> Quite the contrary, here. I read an article in JOOP on classless OOP and
> was struck dumb. I downloaded the Self papers, read them "cover to cover",
> then set about implementing the first iteration of the now-named "Selfish"
> project, Prototype.pm (Perl). I only had about an hour or so of monkeying
> with a running Self VM and Kansas on an Ultra in between reading the
> articles and writing Prototype.pm...
>
> BTW: as an aside, I've been making good progress on some necessary
> persistence infrastructure for the next release of selfish.py, which will
> actually be an interesting release, as opposed to the "proof that code
> exists" release I made some months ago.
>
> --
>    Joy-Loving * Tripp Lilley  *  http://stargate.eheart.sg505.net/~tlilley/

.----------------------------------------------------------.
| Albertina Lourenci                                       |
| PhD  in Architecture and Urbanism                        |
| post-doctorate researcher                                |
| Laboratory of Integrated Systems University of Sao Paulo |
| Avenida Professor Luciano Gualberto, 158 Travessa 3      |
| CEP: 05508-900                                           |
| Sao Paulo Sao Paulo State Brazil                         |
| Voice: +55 011 818 5254                                  |
| Fax: +55 11 211 4574                                     |