persistence (was: Self versus classes)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Mar 16 01:42:26 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 14 March 2001 20:13, Tripp Lilley wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> > I have seen many people who have read a few of the papers and
> > didn't get what it is all about, but that is an entirely different
> > matter.
>
> Quite the contrary, here. I read an article in JOOP on classless OOP
> and was struck dumb. I downloaded the Self papers, read them "cover
> to cover", then set about implementing the first iteration of the
> now-named "Selfish" project, Prototype.pm (Perl). I only had about an
> hour or so of monkeying with a running Self VM and Kansas on an Ultra
> in between reading the articles and writing Prototype.pm...

Some people were unhappy with classes but didn't know what to do about
it. In that case a short paper is enough for them to "get it". It is
interesting that I read a description of a prototype based language,
ObjectLogo, in the August 1986 issue of Byte magazine but didn't think
much of it. Probably the awkward message sending syntax (tell object
something :arg1 :arg2) was at fault.

> BTW: as an aside, I've been making good progress on some necessary
> persistence infrastructure for the next release of selfish.py, which
> will actually be an interesting release, as opposed to the "proof
> that code exists" release I made some months ago.

Check out what the RScheme folks have:

   http://www.rscheme.org/rs/doc.prepub/db/c4944.html

Good luck!
-- Jecel