4.1.2 compatibility with 4.0

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Oct 30 19:43:14 UTC 2000

I have tracked down why my demos failed in Self 4.1.2 (yes - I should
have tested this before the presentation....).

1) When I created the applications in Self 4.0, Mario's Smalltalk
Emulator was loaded and since I had been programming in Smalltalk a lot
at the time I ended up using messages like 'and:' and 'ifTrue:IfFalse:'
that don't exist in plain Self.

2) The old menu creation code used something like
'label:fontName:fontSize:fontColor:' while Self 4.1.2 expects something
like 'label:fontSpec:fontColor:'.

3) The bytecodes have changed significantly in Self 4.1.2! I don't know
if this is due to the PEP project or an experiment with interpreting
Self, but now there are 16 bytecodes instead of the previous 8.

Fixing 1 (by loading the Smalltalk Emulator) and 2 allowed Albertina's
ecoDesign CAD software to run.

Fixing 3 would be a minor rewrite of tinySelf 1 since it would now have
to understand the new bytecodes. This might also be a problem for other
people implementing Self and intending to use a normal snapshot file
for testing.