[self-interest] Slot initializers

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Oct 10 20:17:01 UTC 2000

Marko,

> There are a couple of things in the Self syntax wich I though
> they was clear to me but after trying them out in JSelf I got confused.
>
> (|john=jim.aSlot=something|)
>
> is this the same as ( | john=(jim.aSlot = something) | ) , where jim is
> a parent in
> the lobby or:
>
> (|john=jim . aSlot=something|)

Self 4.1.2 (unlike what I expected!) gave a "No 'jim' delegatee slot
was found in lobby. Sending method holder is lobby." error when I tried
your expression. I also tried

   (|john=3=4|)

and got an object with a single constant slot called 'john' with the
value false. This was just to check that the second '=' was parsed as a
normal binary message.

Anyway, Self parsed your expression as ( | john=(jim.aSlot = something)