[self-interest] Re: Transmeta

Dobes Vandermeer dvandermeer at fmco.com
Thu Jan 20 19:05:21 UTC 2000

Bharat Bedia wrote:

> This may be a silly question but....in terms of executing byte code on a
> processor do you think its possible for Sun's MAJC chip to run Self byte
> code ? Indeed, are there any similarities between the MAJC chip and the
> Transmeta chip ? I'm sure you can tell, I don't know much about
> microprocessors :-(

I guess I'm pretty new to the Self scene, but doesn't Self compile to
machine code before execution, rather than interpret bytecodes?  The
documentation (what little of it there is) isn't completely clear on
this point..  Of course, this has very little to do with your
question... although bytecodes often contain operations that are
"difficult" for hardware to emulate, like a dispatch.