[self-interest] Re: Transmeta

Bharat Bedia bharat_bedia at CommerzbankZGE.com
Thu Jan 20 17:57:58 UTC 2000

This may be a silly question but....in terms of executing byte code on a
processor do you think its possible for Sun's MAJC chip to run Self byte
code ? Indeed, are there any similarities between the MAJC chip and the
Transmeta chip ? I'm sure you can tell, I don't know much about
microprocessors :-(

cheers,

Bharat

> From: Jecel Assumpcao Jr. [mailto:jecel at merlintec.com]
> Since the Self group got to define the semantics of the
> bytecodes, they simply
> defined that an interrupt can only happen in certain "safe
> points" (either a
> non-inlined message send or the backwards jump at the end of
> a loop with no
> non-inlined sends). So the Self adaptive compilation can get
> the same results
> without strange hardware support.

This communication is confidential and is intended
only for the person to whom it is addressed.
If you are not that person you are not permitted to
make use of the information and you are requested
to notify administrator at commerzbankzge.com immediately
that you have received it and then destroy the copy in
your possession.
Commerzbank AG is regulated by the SFA for the conduct
of investment business in the UK.