[self-interest] Re: remote GUI

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Feb 23 22:26:34 UTC 2000

[Jack Schwartz wrote about the Java Remote Presentation Protocol and
Passport]

Thanks for the tip! Looking at their web site, it seems that this tool is
intended for business applications. I think what I describe below is more
demanding than filling in forms and such.

I should have been more specific about what I want to do: basically the idea is
to have a shared space on the internet similar to Kansas (infinite scrollable
space) where the users can draw and "chat". Everything done in this space is
permanent so people coming in later can see what was discussed and add their
(non real time, in this case) contribution.

This is easy to program in Self (it is almost done already, after all :-) and
would work fine on a high speed LAN with people using X Windows. But I see now
that it is too ambitious to try that over a 33kbps modem.

A solution is for everyone to have their copy of the application running
locally with a copy of the "state of the world". Every change is sent to the
server and relayed to all other users (and saved to be sent to those who log in
later). In fact, it would be interesting to be able to work offline: you
connect and update your local state in a single batch operation, then you
disconnect and can browse the drawings and discussions at your convenience
adding comments and picture, then you connect again so others can see what you
have changed.

The first design is doable now, but needs a remote GUI that works on slow
connections (which I no longer think is possible). The second design needs to
have Self running on the client machines (PCs), or I need to do it in some
other language.