[self-interest] Re: remote GUI

Jack Schwartz jack at skila.com
Tue Feb 22 22:29:09 UTC 2000

Jecel -

I have been following the self-interest theads occasionally.  Your current
challenge, I take it, is to provide a lightweight remote GUI front end to
Self applications.  I would suggest that you contact Passport Corporation in
Paramus, NJ.  They have developed a Java Remote Presentation Protocol that
allows them to Web enable any application previously developed in their
proprietary language (Passport).  This protocol sends high-level commands
(something like: "create_main_window,<myWinId>,2,4,500,600") to a remote
Java windowing system (Swing).  The remote GUI has a significant amount of
intelligence allowing local events to be processed as automated GUI actions.
For example, clicking on a folder tab will automatically cause the
associated tab's content window to be brought to the front while the
tab-control automatically repaint and redirects focus to the first sensitive
object in the content window.  There is much more to tell about this
technology which was actually written up in some Hurwitz Publications and an
IDC Application Development Tools Bulletin entitled "Examining the Internet,
Enterprise Development, and IntRprise" [May 1997, IDC #13396 Vol: 1 Tab:
Vendor Strategies].  Check it out. I think you'll be surprised.

Jack H. Schwartz
Chief Technical Officer
VP, Software Development
Skila Inc.