[self-interest] shipping applications (was: Self on Linux)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Nov 18 16:20:20 UTC 1999

Thorsten Dittmar wrote:
> [.....] Please don't miss understand me, the
> image is a beautiful place to program and a lovely place to modify your
> tools in a way how you want to have them, but is it also the right place for
> the application?

David Ungar put a lot of effort into the "transporter" in Self 4.0,
and the Squeak people have just created "image segments" and are
working on "project layers". Other Smalltalks have tried various
things in the past: Jigsaw/parcels, .dll and .exe files and so on.

So I think there is a general agreement that we need something
better than image+fileIns to distribute applications.

Some (rather outdated) thought I had on this subject are at:

   http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/persist.html