[self-interest] Re: shipping applications (was: Self on Linux)

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Fri Nov 19 00:17:39 UTC 1999

>So I think there is a general agreement that we need something
>better than image+fileIns to distribute applications.

Yes, yes, yes!

I'd like to work in an image which can be snapshotted.  This saves a great
deal of time.  But I need a way to reconstruct everything everytime.  I
like the idea of workspaces (or project layers or environment whatever)
which can share some objects but cannot modify itself.  You might even use
this for multiuser access rights. I also really like to be able to
bootstrap a Self-image from nearly nothing (my system doesn't have mirrors,
so I need only the lobby with nil, true, false to be hardcoded in the VM).

bye
--
Stefan         //  I can program the universe
Matthias Aust //           unless the power fails...