[self-interest] Re: Implementation

Douglas Atique datique at alcatel.com.br
Mon Jun 28 12:12:15 UTC 1999

You mean EnterSelf? I have come to the conclusion that CallSelf handles some
threading issues before and after it forwards the "do it request" to EnterSelf
(written in assembly in runtime/sun4.runtime.s), which carries out the task of
executing the nmethod.
Anyway, EnterSelf also takes only the receiver and one argument. So if a method
that has more than one argument slot (not including :self) is compiled into an
nmethod, how can its argument slots be properly initialized? In other words, how
are the real arguments bound to the "formals" of the nmethod? The Programmer's
Reference states that when a method is executed it is cloned to create a method
activation and the argument slots are initialized to the arguments given in the
message send. How is this implemented?

Douglas