[self-interest] Re: Minimum Requirements for Self on Mac

David Ungar David.Ungar at Eng.Sun.COM
Mon Dec 27 23:59:56 UTC 1999

Yes, it makes sense that hz for hz, the SPARC Self system outperforms the Mac:
it has optimizing compiler.

To minimize morph sluggishness, try to limit the number of open
outliners you keep around
on your screen. When you drag a morph across an outliner in the background,
the background morph does a lot of work to repaint-no bits are cached.
I heard a rumor that the Squeak morphic system does do the bitmap caching.
Self's does not because Randy wanted to be able to have animated
morphs in the background.

- Dave

At 7:52 AM +0200 12/24/99, vincent.coetzee at rmb.co.za wrote:
>Hi
>
>I have been following this discussion on Self performance on the Mac with some
>interest. I also first found the performance on my G3 somewhat slow
>(400MHz G3,
>256MB RAM), but that was after having used Self on a 400MHZ UltraSPARC, with
>~512MB of RAM. Perhaps people are comparing the two. I do find that
>the graphics
>performance (ie dragging Morphs around) somewhat more sluggish than on the
>SPARC, but considering what Self is doing just to give that sort of
>performance
>in Morphic makes it clear that Self is not slow. To put things into
>perspective,
>try running Morphic in a commercial type Smalltalk, and see what that
>performance is like (baaad). I have to admit though that Squeak, is
>not sluggish
>on a 400MHz Mac.
>
>Vincent

>FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE! XpertSite is the biggest directory
>of Experts on the Web. For a REAL PERSON who will be happy to answer
>your questions!
>http://click.egroups.com/1/472/5/_/8257/_/946015012

>-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=self-interest&m=1

     David Ungar