[self-interest] Re: Self on Windows

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Dec 7 17:12:44 UTC 1999

Kokan wrote:
> 1) Is there a documentation that explains:
>  a)project guidelines, like:
>   - Structure of the Working_on_VM tree?
>   - File and other naming conventions?
>   - Coding styles?

If you download the VM files, you will find in the "doc" directory:

  vmUseDoc[.dvi,.ps,.tex,.txt] which mostly explains how to use
          the custom development system to recompile the VM. There
          are some explanations on the directory structure, but
          they have changed a lot since this was written

  vm-debugging.doc, I don't know what format this is in, so I can't
          read it very well. It has lots of tips on how to debug
          the VM

  stackformat, looks like a comment extract from some source file
          that explains how the registers are used in the Sparc
          and the 68000 (now that is oooooold!)

>  b)Separation of portable vs. non-portable code.

This is the major difference between Self 4.0 and 4.1, but it seems
you will have to figure this out for yourself. Actually, if you
look at how the directory structure differs from that described
in vmUseDoc you will have a good idea of what is happening.

> 2) Any suggestions how long it might take to port to Windows. I assume
> not
> to go via Java, Smalltalk, Squeak, but to stay with C/C++? And where to
> start?

My own option is to go via Self (since that is the language I like
best!). I won't give any predictions, since none have come true
so far....