It is now winter, and grey is getting me down; so I made a module to make my self snapshot more colourful.
This turned out to involve wading through the outliner code which is to me a maze of twisty little passages all alike. I got eaten by many grues (and also discovered that the text editing code only handles monospaced fonts)
Anyway, I got from this:
which I like better. The module files into the 4.3 bareBones.snap, and may do strange things. Put it in enhancements/ if you feel like trying it out; any pointers gratefully accepted.
Morphic did become far more colorful when it moved in Squeak. I liked this but many people were very critical of it and some even refused to even try Squeak because of the way it looked.
I didn't browse through your code so you might have already done this, but a common way to handle this kind of thing is to create "theme" objects that can be queried for the various colors and other kinds of details. This allows changes to be grouped together.