[Self-interest] OurSelf.io April update - TerminalMorph!

Steve Dekorte steve at dekorte.com
Wed Nov 30 22:13:15 UTC 2022

Would it be possible to disable Self’s JIT and just compile the C++ to WASM Emcripten:

	https://github.com/emscripten-core/emscripten

 and then run Self with just its interpreter?

Btw, here’s a project that’s tinkering with JITs within WASM:

	https://github.com/wingo/wasm-jit

Besides the other advantages of Self over JS, it would be interesting to compare the performance of Self-on-WASM to JS in the browser. IIRC, JS has mostly moved to optimizing the use of its interpreter as mobile platforms like iOS don’t allow native JITs.

It might also be neat to see JS running on top of Self/WASM, sort of like the Smalltalk or Java implementations on top of Self...