[Self-interest] OurSelf.io April update - TerminalMorph!

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Mon Nov 28 21:42:43 UTC 2022

Yes, that's basically right. I'm using a X11->vnc->canvas_vnc_client
pathway because it exists and works, but longer term I'd love to cut out X
and just have a Self vnc server (or some higher level protocol)
Running Self directly in the browser under WASM would be very attractive
because it would tackle the issue of GUI latency which is probably a more
important issue for development than raw VM speed at the moment.
Presumably it would also make the system more scalable by reducing
OurSelf.io server requirements, but that's not really an issue yet :)
I suspect we're talking about writing a new Self VM - is a port of the
existing VM to WASM even theoretically possible? Can you write a JIT in
WASM? Maybe SqueakJS could be altered to run Self.
But either way it requires a fair amount of work.
Russell
Steve Dekorte wrote:
Hi Russell,
OurSelf.io looks like an interesting project. As I understand it, you
launch a Self instance on a server within a FreeBSD container and then do
screen sharing to that instance within a canvas element (and some JS code)
in the browser. Is that correct?
Has anyone considered the possibility of porting Self to WASM so it could
be run directly in the browser?
Steve