[Self-interest] Self implementations

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri May 20 02:09:05 UTC 2022

Russell,

> Why don't I start a new repo on GitHub as a place to keep historical
> Self versions and implementations - ie not for currently developed stuff
> but for old abandoned stuff like Self 3.0, Marvin, any of your old stuff
> you want to add etc

It would be nice to have these historical artifacts available somewhere.

Looking at what I have here, it seems I had a copy of both JSelf and of
openself. Here is a (slightly edited) list of files and directories:

3SelfEnvironment.fm.pdf
grm/
JSelf-0.1-jdk1.1.7.tar.gz
klein-0.1/
manchester-course.ps
mango/
openself-last.tar.gz
self/
self3/
self3VM/
self4/
self4.1/
self4.1.2/
self4.1.2VM/
self4.1.5/
self4.1.5VM/
self4.1.6/
self4.1.6VM/
Self4.1Linux/
self4.1VM/
Self-4.4/
Self-4.4.alpha1/
Self-4.4.alpha2/
Self4Linux/
Self4Linux-0.2.0/
Self4Linux-0.2.0.src.tgz
Self4Linux-0.2.0.tgz
Self4Linux-0.2.1/
Self4Linux-0.2.1.src/
Self4Linux-0.2.1.src.tgz
Self4Linux-0.2.1.tgz
Self4Linux-0.2.2/
Self4Linux-0.2.2.src/
Self4Linux-0.2.2.src.tar.gz
Self4Linux-0.2.2.tar.gz
self4VM/
Self-cygwin-0.2.4.tar.gz
Self-linux-0.2.4/
Self-linux-0.2.4.src/
Self-linux-0.2.4.tar.gz
Self-Release-2017.1/
Self-x86-0.2.4-src.tar.gz
SunSummary.fm.pdf

The folder just named "self" is the 2017 release. The folder grm has a
single file which seems to be the Mango grammar for Self 3.

Looking at some files in OpenSelf, it seems to be an incomplete
implementation in C++ by Marko Mikulicic from September of 2000. There
is no Self code, so I suppose it was meant to read the files from the
official Self.