[Self-interest] OurSelf.io update

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Thu Mar 3 06:26:57 UTC 2022

Hi all

For ages now I've been slowly building an online site for people to run Self called OurSelf.io

It's been slow going because life keeps on getting in the way and so it has gradually been built up in small incremental changes. On the plus side, it has been interesting to treat a running Self world as a permanent artifact which evolves rather than a disposable host for a set of source code, like a sort of tiny little mainframe, but I digress :)

Anyway, I've decided to start opening it up for wider use and this is the first step.

If you go to https://OurSelf.io, you can register with an email address and password and then you will be able to save and manage Self worlds, run them and access the console and morphic desktop through a webbrowser. You can download and upload snapshots.

You will also need an invite code which is 'ourselves'

There are some very basic limits - you can only store 5 snapshots and only run one world at once. Up to 5 people can access the desktop on a running world. Your saved world shouldn't get too big.

Self worlds can run in London, San Jose, Sydney or Tokyo.

Obviously no guarantees etc etc. This is closer to an artwork than a product!

The basic plan for the next stage is:

- remove the need for an invite to make an account
- add functionality so the Self worlds can access cloud storage eg Dropbox, S3 etc
- allow Self worlds to run a web site which would turn up at https://world.user.ourself.io

Feedback will be very gratefully received, as will any offer of collaboration!

Have fun,
Russell