[Self-interest] SELF-like UI for other languages

notebook notebook22312 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 15:51:18 UTC 2022

Hi SELF group,

I hope this is not viewed as off-topic. But as the whole idea of this is based on my experience in SELF I thought I'd share it here too (and maybe even find interested devs? :D)

Background:
============
I always liked the SELF UI with it's way to represent correlating objects. I always missed the visible lines in other languages like Python & co - In general I was always wondering why source code is still edited mostly in long raw text files instead of something more visually expressive.

Main:
=====
I created a "source code visualizer" (I'm definitely not a marketing genius), that provides a SELF-like visualization of source code within Visual Studio Code.

VSCode Marketplace:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=visualprogrammingx.SourceCodeVisualizer

Github repo:
https://github.com/DarkTrick/SourceCodeVisualizer

User note: This is still a quite early version and code editing "is not yet supported". But I hope the idea becomes clear.

Dev note: The system is not restricted to VSCode. It uses a common interface for the communication and could easily be ported to any IDE (as long as it supports web page viewing) or even the web browser (i.e. GitHub integration should be possible).

Regards
Chris