[Self-interest] ZigSelf: An implementation of Self in Zig

sin-ack sin-ack at protonmail.com
Tue Mar 1 13:29:32 UTC 2022

Hi there! Russell Allen asked me to join the mailing list and let people know about this, so here I am.

ZigSelf is an implementation of Self in the Zig programming language. It's not an exact implementation of the original VM and I have taken a few creative liberties with it.
The language can't do much at the moment, since I just started out with it and work on it in my free time. It has a REPL mostly implemented in itself though (minus the evaluation :^).
It also doesn't have a JIT or bytecode just yet, as I want to get the language stable before I start working on something like that. It is an eventual goal, however.
My current goal is experimenting with an actor model similar to Erlang's, as I think the message passing-based communication there could mesh really well with the message passing-based programming paradigm that Self already uses.

If you're interested, the project is here: https://github.com/sin-ack/zigself