[Self-interest] Block Question

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Fri Nov 12 03:19:05 UTC 2021

> On 12 Nov 2021, at 12:35 pm, Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:
> Not having globals built into the language allows a more secure system
> to be created, but that was not done for Self.

I played around a bit with trying to create ‘vats’ ie segregated object graphs

The two big roadblocks I ran into were this issue of the compiler creating objects that refer back to the lobby, eg small ints, strings etc, and also the way in which primitives could be constructed to break out of the vat, eg, ‘2 _Quit’ and of course ‘2 _Mirror’

There are primitives put in for the JVM emulator which allow for reasonably fast integers that aren’t necessarily delegates of traits smallInt, so with a suitable compiler which compiled in the context of a different ‘lobby’ (and disallowed constructing interned strings for most primitives) I think you could get there.

I thought the result would be pretty interesting - self contained object clusters with a defined interface which could be easily serialised and passed around, or imported safely without worrying about the main image.

Russell