[Self-interest] Proposal for a modernized Self dialect

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 19:19:03 UTC 2021

In all Smalltalks I know, you can disable that optimization made by the
compiler.
Juan Vuletich did that a couple of days ago in Cuis (
http://www.cuis-smalltalk.org/) and ran [Compiler recompileAll] timeToRun.
to see the performance impact. Here are the numbers:
Cuis with the optimization:
4207
4328
With #ifTrue: not optimized:
5717
5722
With #ifFalse: also deoptimized:
6052
6088
With #ifTrue:ifFalse: also deoptimized:
8173
8038
With #ifFalse:ifTrue: also deoptimized:
8387
8306

Almost 2x without the optimizations.
Doing this he could change the behavior of those messages.

Cheers!
Hernan.