[Self-interest] programs (was: goals for Self)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Sun Aug 8 00:24:54 UTC 2021

On Sat, 7 Aug 2021 21:04:13 -0300 I wrote:
> In fact, one reason for my to use Self would be to take advantage of
> existing code. It is very tempting for me to instead start from scratch
> on some successor to Self only using the lessons learned from it. In my
> particular case I have the following Self code (which are also mostly
> interesting artefacts instead of useful for the future):

While looking for the Petri net simulator (didn't find it) I remembered
yet another program in Self that I have:

- SelfHDL by Reinaldo Silveira (runs on Self 4.0): this was his PhD
project, which started in Java, then migrated to Squeak and eventually
finished in Self. He changed the Self scheduler so a program could be
split between normal software objects and simulated hardware objects. He
used Self as a hardware description language and implemented a MIPS
processor in it as an example.

The text of his thesis is in Portuguese, but some of you might find the
pictures interesting:

http://www.merlintec.com/download/selfHDL.pdf