[Self-interest] future of the Self VM

Nicklas Carpenter carpenter.nicklas at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 04:30:32 UTC 2021

Throughout the 2020-2021 academic year, I was actually working on a Self
JIT compiler in C++ based off LLVM for a senior capstone project. Due to
some drastic team-related incidents, I was only able to implement a
(very) small subset, but, now that I know a lot more about interpreters,
VMs, and JIT compilers, I am currently building a new implementation in
Rust. I am planning to do a bytecode interpreter with the end goal of
building a JIT compiler on top of that.

A lot of life changes going on post-graduation that are taking up a good
chunk of my time, so I don't have a lot of time to spend on it
currently, but it is one of my primary ongoing projects. Once I get
something non-trivial, I plan on pushing it to a public GitHub
repository. I would definitely welcome any input and feedback.

-- Nicklas Carpenter