[Self-interest] Self not working on x64 Linux

Reinout Heeck reinz at desk.org
Thu Sep 10 11:30:04 UTC 2020

I tried it on our 64bit development container  (with X11+vnc server)
that is running under Docker under the MsWindows WSL2 Linux subsystem.

This system reports as follows:

$ uname -a
Linux f466c95cd9ce 4.19.104-microsoft-standard #1 SMP Wed Feb 19
06:37:35 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS \n \l

running Self Manadarin for the first time gave a library not found error:

$ ./Self
./Self: error while loading shared libraries: libXext.so.6: cannot open

I installed the 32 bit version of the x extensions:

$ sudo apt install libxext6:i386

thereafter Self starts and shows a morphic window!

$./Self -s morphic.snap
for I386:  LogVMMessages = true
for I386:  PrintScriptName  = true
for I386:  Inline = true
for I386:  SICDeferUncommonBranches = false (not implemented)
for I386:  SICReplaceOnStack = false (not implemented)
for I386:  SaveOutgoingArgumentsOfPatchedFrames = true

     Welcome to the Self system!  (2017.1/2)

...etc..

I don't know how this translates to Redhat...

HTH,

Reinout Heeck