[Self-interest] OurSelf trial now without invite!

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Thu Nov 26 09:23:27 UTC 2020

I looked into what to do with the current VM but it was too big a job for my available time and skills. To get back on Apple we need both 64 bit and ARM.

Other options were to move to another VM (Truffle looks really promising - there is a TruffleSqueak which is very fast, but suffers the same compilation pauses as Self 3 - or Cog, the Squeak VM), which was feasible but a bit sad :(  or to do a Klein style VM using Self, which would be great fun but also too big a project.

Of course no matter what VM, I won’t be able to run Self on my iPad because Apple doesn’t allow third party JITs or reflective systems which can save and load code...

In a sense OurSelf is my attempt at an end run around all of this.

There’s only a couple of things on my radar to do with the current Self VM:

(1) port to FreeBSD, because OurSelf is currently running the VM in Linux emulation mode and I’d love to be able to ditch that as a requirement
(2) merge and update the work I did a few years back allowing on the fly primitives to be created in Self, because that opens up a lot of possibilities in respect of talking to OS libraries and so on

Russell