[Self-interest] slow systems (was: OurSelf trial nowwithout invite!)

David Ungar ungar at mac.com
Thu Nov 26 01:20:05 UTC 2020

Paul,

What you did was very cool! Quite an achievement, and great taste to implement APL.

Back in the day, the ST group at PARC did overlapping windows, and the Mesa folks  did Spaces, IIRC, non-overlapping windows. Although I have heard from many who prefer the non-overlapping ones, I stronger prefer the overlapping sort, at least given the particular systems I have been to. I can give quasi-rational reasons for the preference--no machine can figure out what I need to be able to see as well as I can--but my best guess would be that it comes down to a combination of brain wiring (n.b. the "typical mind fallacy") and the "incidental" aspects of the experience. For instance, how verbose the language is, how the IDE lays out windows (e.g. Xcode insists on putting certain things in certain places), and whether the new window jumps "into the hand". That last was a Smith-ism, which turned out to be fantastic, IMO. Ask for implementors, and just put it down where you like. Whether next-to, or overlapping. For my money, Morphic/Self was maybe two hours better at the 3am test than any of the "modern" IDEs I've used.

Our debugger reified each frame, so you could see as many as you wanted to, at once. Could yank them out, rearrange them, make a column morph of just the slots you wanted to see. And it was much less tool-centric than ST, or almost anything I've seen after.

Menus and icons are two more stories. I suspect the hierarchical radial ones might be OK, but haven't used them.
The guy with the best insight on this stuff is Randy Smith.

- David