[Self-interest] Self + Kids + iPad

Baltasar GarcĂ­a Perez-Schofield baltasarq at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 11:32:09 UTC 2020

Hi there,

> The current difficulty with OurSelf is that I need to share Self
> snapshots between multiple servers, so they can be updated and run.
> The first obvious solution was to have a folder full of snapshots and
> scp them to the server just before use. However I need to be able to
> develop the Self worlds as well as run them, which means we need not
> just the snapshot but the Self Git tree. Which is about 180M. And I
> would like to be able in the future to have a snapshot+storage which
> includes images etc, which could be much larger again.

This is the main weakness of Self and other similar programming
languages which rely on a snapshot (Squeak, SmallTalk). This could be
solved by a true persistent system.

But it is even worse, since if you want to just open a browser, then
(AFAIK) it has to be included in your snapshot.

In my opinion, 10MB just to be able to send a message "Hello world!"
and see it replicated on screen is too much.

-- Baltasar