[Self-interest] Deriving a Declarative Language from the Self Language

Jack Waugh tzh9741mq402 at sneakemail.com
Wed Apr 22 16:08:16 UTC 2020

Sorry I started this thread in the wrong place in the hierarchy (as it
appears in the archive).

Thank you, Adam Spitz for your philosophical response.

In the realm of declarative programming, I have been interested in
concurrent constraints. I envision using a combination of language and
execution environment where the language proper would be purely declarative
but the environment would provide access to such facilities as fall outside
declarativity but are needed or desired for dealing with the outside world.

I'm thinking that such an approach might not clash badly with the syntax of
Self and maybe some of the other ideas related to Self.

The "slots" in an "object" might consist of a fixed label paired with a
"variable", which is a thing that could exist for part of its history as
having unknown value, but a procedure/method could constrain it to have a
particular value. Trying to constrain it in logically inconsistent ways
would be an error. I suppose part of the source of objects having slots
that haven't yet been constrained would be the aforementioned runtime
environment. Maybe an operation to create such an object would require at
least these two inputs: a pattern or prototype to give the object its known
behaviors, and an "oracle" as described by Burton and Lennart; this latter
would come from a stream of arbitrarily many oracles as needed supplied by
the magic runtime environment.