[Self-interest] Self on MacOS

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Tue Apr 21 00:48:04 UTC 2020

> On 21 Apr 2020, at 7:57 am, Chris Double <chris.double at double.co.nz> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 7:06 AM Steve Dekorte <steve at dekorte.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a build of Self for MacOS Catalina (which is now 64bit only)?
>
> Unfortunately Self is still 32bit only. I think Russell uses Mac OS so
> might have a work around involving virtual machines.

It’s difficult. It isn’t just a matter of, say, Ubuntu where all you need to do is load or package the 32 bit system libraries.  I did play with putting together a Linux VM with a Mac user land tool taking advantage of the Mac’s Hypervisor.framework (See eg https://github.com/machyve/xhyve <https://github.com/machyve/xhyve>) But then you would need to have a bridge over localhost or something to talk to the Mac side to get a GUI etc.

In the end I’ve been playing instead with the online OurSelf stuff because it gets me Mac, but also Windows and iOS and a collaborative framework not just an image on a local system.

Also I’m getting used to being able to just walk away from my Self world on my desktop and open it up at the same point on my laptop or iPad!

Russell