[Self-interest] Self on MacOS

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Mon Apr 20 21:57:55 UTC 2020

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 7:06 AM Steve Dekorte <steve at dekorte.com> wrote:

> Is there a build of Self for MacOS Catalina (which is now 64bit only)?

Unfortunately Self is still 32bit only. I think Russell uses Mac OS so
might have a work around involving virtual machines.

I did some work a while back trying to get Self running on x86_64 by
reviving the bytecode interpreter rather than using the JIT - which
would require writing an x86_64 JIT. I wasn't able to get the
interpreter running though - I don't think it ever worked or it has
bitrot since the releases that it did work. I think if I were to
revisit it, using LLVM, or some other existing code generation
framework, might be a better idea just to get something running.

--
https://bluishcoder.co.nz