Try Self online!

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Sat Jun 29 01:39:41 UTC 2019

Hi all

I’ve being playing with setting up a online sandbox to play with Self in.
I have a *very* early demo up at:

https://ourself.io

If you go there, you can click the button and wait. If you’re lucky, you will get to a page which gives you a link to a running morphic desktop and a Self console. It should last about 20 minutes or so, and won’t save any changes.

This is held together with blutack and gaffer tape so will probably break :)

Also there are only a few slots for running Self worlds on the small DigitalOcean account this is running on, so capacity will be reached quickly.

The technology stack is:  A FreeBSD host on ZFS, running Nginx as a proxy. Each Self is in a FreeBSD jail, with its own X libs. The Self desktop is sent to your browser as follows:    Self->X11->Xvnc->Websocket->NoVNC->Browser.

There’s very little of my own code in this. Everything is nicely boring.

Anyway, if you do get it running I’d love to get any feedback.

:) Russell