[self-interest] beginner trying to run Self on Mac

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Wed May 2 02:58:08 UTC 2018

I’m actually in Sydney time, which explains why my evening is your morning :)
We don’t at the moment get a lot of people coming into Self completely cold, so I’m happy to help, but I can’t reproduce the problem at the moment on my machine so it is a bit frustrating for both of us!
I suspect it is probably something very simple but email is difficult…

(Linux issue is likely to be completely different. Usual problem is a missing shared library. But I think ignore that for the moment)

Just to be absolutely sure, am I right that the core issue is that you:

- drag the Self Control.app I shared a link to into the /Applications folder
- double click on it to run it
- click the “Choose snapshot…” button and select morphic.snap (or kitchensink.snap) from the file dialog
- nothing happens (nothing opens, nothing is listed in the ‘running worlds’ list)

Can we do one more test?

Can you please

- drag the Self Control.app I shared a link to into the /Applications folder
- open the terminal and type:

/Applications/Self\ Control.app/Contents/MacOS/Self\ Control

this should open the Self Control.app. Then

- click the “Choose snapshot…” button and select morphic.snap (or kitchensink.snap) from the file dialog

Some text should print out on the terminal, even if nothing else happens. Can you let me know what that text says?

Russell