[self-interest] prototypes (was: new video)

Randy Smith randy.smith at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 22:18:53 UTC 2018

> On Jun 16, 2018, at 3:10 PM, David Ungar ungar at mac.com [self-interest] <self-interest at yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>
> As I recall it, Lieberman published a paper on prototypes in about 85, inspired by Actors (Hewitt, Agha). But we decided he had it wrong because it was copy on write. In his model, when you assigned to a slot, the slot was added to the target. I think Randy came up with ARK prototypes independently.

Independent of Lieberman anyway, though I think Lieberman was '86?

As I say some at PARC were aware of the idea of "copy a thing, change it some" as a model for making new stuff, but I kind of feel that is pretty obvious. It is, after all, how you make a ham-and-cheese sandwich if you already know how to make a ham sandwich, for example.