new video (was: [self-interest] for Chris Double...)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Jun 14 18:28:48 UTC 2018

"itsnotgregg" wrote on 14 Jun 2018 12:15:25 +0000
> I made a first draft of the first vid
>  https://youtu.be/RNR54Yb7SNs
> A few things to figure out with production quality and on-air
> personality. If any are curious please give pointers and fact
> checking.

This is a nice start. While you already do a good job of showing instead
of telling, you could go a bit further. Instead of just saying "if I try
to make a copy now I will get an error" while don't you type "copy" into
the evaluator and have the debugger pop up? You can just dismiss it
immediately if you want to leave talking about the debugger for later.

About the lack of classes, the story I always tell is that before Self a
project that Randy Smith did was ARK (Alternate Reality Kit) which was
very much like a visual version of Smalltalk. It had the equivalent of
classes in the form of factory objects, but people found it more
convenient to just find an instance of the class they wanted and make a
copy of it instead of going back to the factory.

Randy can tell us whether this has anything at all to do with how thing
really happened, but it makes for some nice looking slides in a talk :-)

And my story simply ignores how much influence of Henry Lieberman's
"prototypes" paper had at that time:

> http://web.media.mit.edu/~lieber/Lieberary/OOP/Delegation/Delegation.html

You mentioned there would be a link to a PDF in the description, but it
isn't there yet. I suppose you are still writing it?