[self-interest] beginner trying to run Self on Mac

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Fri Apr 27 03:45:42 UTC 2018

Hi, yes bash is just the normal terminal mode.
The response is saying that you need to give special permission to install a link to the Self vm in /usr/local/bin
For some reason my laptop doesn’t require that.

Let’s try giving it that permission:

> sudo ln -s /Applications/Self\ Control.app/Contents/Resources/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self /usr/local/bin/Self

(‘sudo’ means to do the action as a ‘super user’. It will probably ask you for your password)

> ls /usr/local/bin/Self

This should now work! I’m sacrificing a chicken here to the computer gods to see if that helps.

Then hopefully the rest of the plan works:

> Self

you should see the VM starting up as below, when you get the Self prompt, 'VM# ‘ then enter _Quit, ie

VM# _Quit

this should take you back to bash. Now cd (‘change directory’) to your directory with the snapshots and try running them:

> cd ~/Desktop/self
> Self -s morphic.snap

this should bring up a morphic window as well as the Self prompt.  enter _Quit as before to quit, or choose Quit from the desktop menu (right click somewhere in the open Self window)

If we get too bogged down in this maybe sometime next week we should hop on a chat system to do it in realtime. What timezone are you in?

Russell