[self-interest] beginner trying to run Self on Mac

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Fri Apr 27 01:19:32 UTC 2018

Thanks for bearing with me!
The VM itself seems to be working, though it hasn’t installed properly at /usr/local/bin/Self and doesn’t appear to be properly run from Self Control.app
I updated my MacBook to the latest MacOS and I’m getting a new one time warning about running 32 bit apps, so I wonder if that is relevant.

Let’s try doing the command line installation manually:

In bash, please do (‘>’ is bash prompt, don’t type it :)

> ln -s /Applications/Self\ Control.app/Contents/Resources/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self /usr/local/bin/Self

now test by doing:

> ls /usr/local/bin/Self

(system should print: ls /usr/local/bin/Self)

> Self

you should see the VM starting up as below, when you get the Self prompt, 'VM# ‘ then enter _Quit, ie

VM# _Quit

this should take you back to bash. Now cd to your directory with the snapshots and try running them:

> cd /path/to/your/snapshotsDir
> Self -s morphic.snap

this should bring up a morphic window as well as the Self prompt.  enter _Quit as before to quit, or choose Quit from the desktop menu (right click somewhere in the open Self window)

Now, assuming all this worked (!), problem would seem to be the Self Control.app.

Russell