[self-interest] Re: beginner trying to run Self on Mac

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Wed Apr 25 23:07:37 UTC 2018

OK. Something def wrong! Hope it isn’t the latest MacOS not liking us. I’ll upgrade my macbook and see if I can reproduce.

Some triage suggestions:

1. Let’s first find if we can run the core command line VM. Assuming that you have put Control Self.app in your applications folder, can you try (in a terminal):

/Applications/Self\ Control.app/Contents/Resources/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self

(note backslash in Self\ Control.app!)

This should give you a repl, _Quit to quit.

2. Next, can you let me know what:

ls -al /usr/local/bin/Self

returns?

3. If there is a /usr/local/bin/Self, can you do:

cat /usr/local/bin/Self

and let me know what it shows?

4. I’ve attached a build of the core Self VM that works on my system. Can you put this somewhere, make sure it is set as executable and try running it in the Terminal? This *should* run the snapshots with the -s flag, though it may do weird things with any windows it opens because it isn’t embedded in a proper .app bundle.

Hopefully this will help work out where in the process things are breaking!
Sorry for the bad experience!
Russell

I’m