Self 2017.1 "Mandarin" Released

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Wed May 24 02:14:14 UTC 2017

Hi Sellers,

Continuing our duck theme, I have just released Self 2017.1 “Mandarin” named after this beautiful Aix galericulata:

There is a blog post at: https://blog.selflanguage.org/2017/05/24/self-mandarin-2017-1/ <https://blog.selflanguage.org/2017/05/24/self-mandarin-2017-1/>

Self 2017.1 is downloadable for Linux x86 (.zip) <http://files.selflanguage.org/releases/2017.1/Self-2017.1.zip> and MacOS (.dmg) <http://files.selflanguage.org/releases/2017.1/Self-2017.1.dmg>, or you can build it yourself from the GitHub source tree <https://github.com/russellallen/self>.
There is also a handbook included and available to read online <http://handbook.selflanguage.org/>.

The main self site and the handbook are running on a Self webserver (Stability not guaranteed :)
A brief change log is:

New features:

Changed to new versioning system for key subsystems (vm, core, morphic, outliners)   and for release as a whole.
New `about` object accessible from main menu with system info.
New `preferences` object allows easy access to system preferences.
ew themeing system for outliners and a new look.
Extensive reorganisation of object categories in `globals` to make global objects more easily discoverable and understandable.
New option on `worldbuilder.self` script to allow for fully automated building of Self worlds by setting subsystem options on command line.
New string helper methods: `splitOn:`, `joinUsing:` and `slice:`.
The `transporter` is now aware of code being in multiple independent trees, not  only one single Self tree, allowing for separate projects to be kept in separate   version control repositories.
A system-wide logger has been included to standardise logging practices within    Self.
Updates:

Self Control.app on macOS updated to work with El Capitan.
Fixes:

Fix on macOS to reduce CPU usage when idle.
VM build will now explicitly show which macOS SDK it is using.
^D (EOF) handled correctly at prompt
Fix to bug preventing compilation on recent GCC
Many other misc fixes.
Documentation:

General improvements to Self handbook.
Self website moved out of main repository.
Other:

Webserver moved to separate repository: github.com/russellallen/self-webserver
travis-ci.org integration for VM building
In a few days I will try to do a blog post/mailing list email setting out the immediate plans for Self 2017.2, which I’d like to do in about 6 months time.

:) Russell