[self-interest] Self style using JavaScript prototypal inheritance

Stephen De Gabrielle spdegabrielle at gmail.com
Thu May 12 14:27:47 UTC 2016

Hi,

What *should* the 'storage story' be?

I think it's a pain point for programmers and users*, with programmers
jumping out to SQL or some other CRUD[2] and/or query language to do
anything on storage, or using an ORM solution. (I seem to recall microsoft
proposing the filesystem as a database at one point but I don't know how
that turned out)

I see the odd paper addressing it from the OS side, but I don't recall
anything from the PL side of things.

I'm also interested in how parallelism and concurrency could/should be
dealt with in Self?

stephen

[*] I think the OLPC/sugar UI timeline approach to saving documents was a
bold and interesting approach - though I don't know if it scales to the
number of concurrent projects and documents you see in the workplace.
(maybe I'm too much of a chicken to sacrifice my folder hierarchy)
[2] Create, Read, Update, Delete