[self-interest] Re: Questions about Self

David Ungar ungar at me.com
Sun Jun 26 18:57:40 UTC 2016

James,

Thanks for chiming in. I started reading your paper and love that you reference Alan Borning’s work. Cannot finish the paper right now, but will look forward to that.

Yes, there are many ways. I don’t know of a single best way. Lately, I’ve been programming in Swift, and have allowed it to teach me something new, as well as rekindle my friendship with APL. There’s (IMO) an interesting question around objects and functional programming, and I don’t know yet if any language has unified the two to my satisfaction. I have not been doing enough scholarship. I suspect the Grace model helps, but I really need to learn more.

Is subclassing/inheritance the same as invoking a closure? Is a closure “just” an object with a single method? Old questions...

- David