[self-interest] Questions about Self

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Wed Jun 22 01:57:33 UTC 2016

> On 22 Jun 2016, at 11:38 AM, Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz [self-interest] <self-interest at yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com <mailto:mail at russell-allen.com>
> [self-interest] <self-interest at yahoogroups.com <mailto:self-interest at yahoogroups.com>> wrote:
> > If anyone feels like helping, on the Self side, at the moment I just call out to a c compiler or assembler. It would be nice if there was a pure Self x86 assembler, or even a simple compiler from a C level language (which would help retargeting if we do that later).
>
> Would linking to LLVM be useful? Or is that too heavyweight a
> dependency? If an LLVM backend was made that would also ease porting
> to 64 bit. I'm not a big fan of using it since it moves further away
> from pure Self code.

I’m not sure what LLVM gives us. We’re only talking fragments of code, so I doubt we need much optimisation. I suppose it gives us some portability but so does just calling out to a C compiler (in fact that’s more so because we’re not locked into a single compiler)

> Klein has an assembler but I think it is Sparc and PowerPC. It might
> serve as a base to add x86 though.

Interesting. I’ll have a look.

Russell